A tingling sensation in the legs, feet, or hands is a familiar sort of feeling - but when it is accompanied by pain, the problem can be worse. There are a number of possibilities of why pain may be accompanying tingling in your extremities. Read on to learn more about these reasons.
Tingling versus Pain
While the sensation of tingling - such as when a foot falls asleep and then receives an influx of blood flow - is often uncomfortable, it is rarely directly painful. There is a distinction between the sensation of tingling and the sensation of pain. Most of the time, blood circulation problems do not cause pain in extremities, solely discomfort. Generally, it is easy to recognize pain once it occurs.
Causes of Pain and Tingling
If the pain and tingling you are experiencing is not obviously caused by a direct injury to the affected part of your body, it is likely that you are experiencing a symptom of an underlying cause. Some of the most common possible causes are:
While this is most likely to affect the hands with tingling, it causes pain in many parts of the body and may actually cause pain and tingling in the legs and feet as well. This type of arthritis damages many body systems - such as eyes, skin, and other organs - in addition to joints. For this reason, it can cause a number of odd symptoms in the body, even in places that are not near joints.
Often, problems in the neck and back can cause pain that radiates, or is felt in other parts of the body. This is especially common with problems affecting the vertebrae. Issues such as a herniated disc, disc degeneration, nerve compression by shifting discs, and a host of other problems can cause numbness, tingling, and pain in feet, hands, and legs.
Managing Pain and Tingling
If the pain and tingling are minor and not causing you problems in your everyday life, you may try to manage them with lifestyle changes or home remedies. Gentle exercise and stretching can sometimes help improve the sensation of both pain and tingling in legs, feet, and hands. Additionally, remedies like massage and acupuncture are thought to help improve these feelings.
In many cases, however, you may need to visit a doctor. Conditions that cause both pain and tingling in parts of the body are not likely to improve over time without medical intervention, and rheumatoid arthritis in particular is known to have many potentially dangerous side effects. A doctor can help you devise a treatment plan for dealing with the pain and tingling in your hands, feet, and legs, and may even be able to prescribe you medication to help improve the symptoms.
If you have pain and tingling in your legs, feet, or hands, this knowledge can help you figure out how best to deal with this problem. If you are experiencing tingling without pain, learn more about your condition by reading about tingling in left arm.
- Health Direct. (2019). Peripheral neuropathy. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/peripheral-neuropathy
- Mayo Clinic. (2016). Numbness in hands. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/numbness-in-hands/basics/definition/sym-20050842
- Mayo Clinic. (2019). Peripheral neuropathy. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352061
- Medline Plus. (2015). Numbness and tingling. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003206.htm
- Medline Plus. (2019). Peripheral neuropathy. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000593.htm
- nidirect. (2019). Pins and needles. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/conditions/pins-and-needles
- The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy. (n.d.). Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/lifestyle/
- The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy. (n.d.). Peripheral Neuropathy Treatments. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/lifestyle/
- The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy. (n.d.). What is Peripheral Neuropathy? Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.foundationforpn.org/what-is-peripheral-neuropathy/
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. (2018). Peripheral Neuropathy. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/preventing-problems/nerve-damage-diabetic-neuropathies/peripheral-neuropathy
- Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. (2017). Acupuncture for the Treatment of Peripheral neuropathy: A Systematic review and meta-analysis. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5359694/
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. (2019). Peripheral Neuropathy Fact Sheet. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Peripheral-Neuropathy-Fact-Sheet